The HVT was started in August 2018 as a registered Trust and Non-profit Organisation (NPO) with Public Benefit Organization (PBO) status in terms of Section 18A of the Income Tax Act. The HVT's main purpose is to bring higher education, including accredited university degree courses, to the Overstrand region of South Africa.
Several factors prompted the launch of the Trust:
- There are few opportunities for higher education in the Overstrand, including training aimed at upgrading skills.
- The literacy rate is good at close to 85 percent, but the school retention rate remains a significant challenge. This is one area where HVT will focus its efforts.
- The level of unemployment among the youth is high and there is a lot of poverty in the area. There are also enormous disparities between rich and poor.
- There has been social unrest in Hermanus and the rest of the Overstrand.
- All this has an impact on students' ability and willingness to study further.
- A large number of matriculants in the area qualify but do not enroll in a higher certificate, a diploma, or a degree.
"It is never the wrong time to do the right thing"
- Martin Luther King Jr.